Thursday, November 19, 2015

Giving Thanks In All Things

"But you are to hold fast to the LORD your God, as you have until now."
                                                                            Joshua 23:8

That awful word has entered our family yet again--cancer. My mom was diagnosed last week with stage IV lung cancer that has metastasized to the brain and liver. My priority prayer is that she will not suffer.  For now her symptoms are only related to the brain tumor--difficulty speaking, some confusion, and weakness on her right side.  Remarkably, miraculously, she is experiencing no pain at all right now. She has made it through the first five (of 14) radiation treatments with no side effects other than expected fatigue. For this I am so very grateful.

Holding fast--clinging--holding tight to God, the anchor of my soul, is the only way to describe my response in these days.  I am claiming Him as my shield from the pain of former days and as my strength for this day and the days ahead. (Psalm 28:7) The distance is especially difficult since my mom lives in Fort Walton Beach, Florida; I live here in Birmingham, and my brother lives in Baton Rouge. We are tag teaming right now; I will return on Friday, most thankful that our Thanksgiving break is a full week.      

Many of you have already expressed your concern, and I so appreciate it.  Your prayers are the best gift of all right now.  Please pray for these:

* for minimal pain
* for wisdom for my brother and me in upcoming decisions regarding                          chemotherapy and care
* for discernment/safe travel in the coming and going for all the family
* for peace amid this trial
* for God to be glorified during this journey

Thank you for praying with us.

As I was driving to school last Tuesday, having been out for a week and praying about how to share with my students, the Lord spoke clearly: "This affliction is for My glory; this affliction is for My glory."  And so I spoke candidly to them about her condition and my assurance of her ultimate healing. Please pray that the Lord might use this time to communicate His truths and the hope we have in Christ.  Although I have grieved over this diagnosis, I do not grieve without hope.  Healing will ultimately be hers.  For this I am most thankful.

Just this morning our pastor reminded us of the words in I Thessalonians 5:18: "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  So on this day I am thankful for...

   * the excellent care my mom received at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center--incredibly   compassionate nurses day and night

   * the efficiency of health care in FWB--official diagnosis on a Friday; mapping and first treatment on Monday.  This oncology clinic even offers transportation to treatments as a courtesy to patients.  

   * for my precious cousin and aunt who have been right there by her side

   * for my dear brother and his leadership in this situation 

   * for my extraordinary sister-in-law who, the day after their son's wedding in New Orleans        on Nov. 7th, drove to Baton Rouge and then to Florida and has been there helping out since  

  * God's timing--that this did not happen last year amid wedding planning or
     any point before now

  * God's Word--reminding me that even when I feel like curling up in a ball 
     under a blanket and closing all the blinds, I don't have to act on my feelings.
     The Lord is on my side, and He will give strength equal to each day. (Deut.
     33:25)

  * three wonderful boys/men who showed up--each driving to Fort Walton from Orlando, from Birmingham, and from Auburn to be with my mom and me

   * newlyweds in the family whose hopes and dreams always brighten the days

   * Gem Day project planning that helps me focus on others 

   * text messaging that facilitates clear communication 
   

This plaque sits in the front of my classroom as a reminder that in every season, not just Thanksgiving, there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for.  Above all else I am thankful for our hope in Jesus!  He still reigns with love and mercy and grace in all seasons.






* Update: I actually wrote this on Sunday but just now posting.  Now 9 radiation treatments down, 5 more to go.  All is still well.  So thankful!  

1 comment:

  1. I waited until this morning to read, knowing that whatever you had written would guide me in my day. Your gift with words is so inspiring and insightful. Thank you for reminding us that God will guide us, and we need to be so very thankful.

    ReplyDelete