Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Night Light

"For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ."
                                                  2 Corinthians 4:6

I must admit these holidays have been challenging--an ongoing battle to elude the shroud of darkness and sadness that has sought to be my shadow.  Just as I would get a short lead, it would swoop down, sometimes crushing my faint spirit.  Each day I prayed fervently for the Lord's strength--for His power to enable me to keep climbing.  I knew others were praying, too, and how grateful I am for those steadfast warriors.  With absolute assurance I proclaim once again--our God is faithful! 

In my journal on December 3rd I recorded the first line from that day's Jesus Calling: "Do not be surprised by the fiery attacks on your mind."  In the midst of such struggle how reassuring was this reminder of the reality of spiritual warfare. Some days the inner conflict was consuming.  Doubts would arise, and I would berate myself for lack of faith. The "whys" became the enemy's ammunition. My pen was silent; the words would not come. Wrestling daily...  But God in His faithfulness took me to 1 Samuel 17, affirming that the battle is indeed His--and to Psalm 124, encouraging me that He is on my side. Alas!  He has already won! 

Not all was dim--Gem Day was certainly a highlight as the messages began early that morning relating beautiful acts of service--the first from a friend in Thailand whose December 6th was coming to a close.  Throughout the day gifts of God's grace sprinkled down as I learned of the many kindnesses offered. Wonderful stories of the givers' joy as well as the recipients'.  From the beginning my prayer had been that this would not be a one-day "event," but perhaps a recognition of needs and discovery of joy in serving that would lead to ongoing ministry. How God has answered that prayer!  One example: the Senior Class officers at Hoover visited a nursing home that morning and had the opportunity to actually feed some of the residents; that afternoon they took coats, hats, and scarves to children in an inner city school and read books to them.  Their response: they asked their sponsor if they could please go back to both places in the spring.  Several of these young people shared with me how humbled they had been, especially at the nursing home.  I believe that the Lord cultivated a deeper compassion for both the elderly and the poor that day among these seniors. Sing praise! This was indeed a day of celebration rather than a day of sorrow.  To God be the glory--great things He has done!

At year's end reflection comes... How thankful I am for the Lord's provision throughout this holiday season as well as throughout this last year.  He has faithfully kept His promises in spite of my sometimes wavering faith. His Word has been my sustenance. In my sadness He has been the Lifter of my head (Psalm 3:3);  in my loneliness He has hidden me in the shadow of His wings  (Psalm 36:7); in my weakness He has been my Strength (Psalm 28:7). When I have cried for help, He has encouraged me. (Psalm 10:17) On the darkest days He has shone His light (Psalm 27:1).  Often He has made His presence known through His people and their kindnesses; sometimes it has simply been in that garden of further still where only His Spirit can speak comfort to our hearts.  But this I know--our God is faithful. 

Now we embark on a new year, knowing more challenges and change lie ahead.  But "I will remember the deeds of the LORD" (Psalm 77:11) --He has brought us a mighty long way...He has already gone before us and will be with us every step of the way (Deut. 31:8).  His steadfast love and compassion never fail. Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus! Oh, the hope He offers--for this day, for tomorrow, for eternity. Thank You, Jesus. Thank You! Our Father has given us light through You. In this new year may each of us proclaim Your goodness and let Your light shine--even in the darkness!  

  



No comments:

Post a Comment