Thursday, January 24, 2013

His Fingerprints in the Chalkdust

"I remember the days of long ago
 I meditate on all Your works
 and consider what Your hands have done."
                                      Psalm 143:5

Last summer when we learned that our students would be getting iPads this school year, I began to reflect on my early days of teaching and all the changes that have evolved during these thirty plus years.  (Can I really be that old?)  My first teaching position was at a small private school in south Louisiana--a three-story transformed women's college that had limited resources.  After I was hired, my principal handed me four books--a 9th and 12th grade literature book and a 9th and 12th grade grammar book--all student editions. He smiled and said, "Good luck--now go teach!"  Yes, these four books comprised my curriculum materials; thus, I spent most evenings writing/typing on the purple ditto masters and scurrying in the next morning to literally "crank out" the copies.  My classroom was on the third floor so "Miss Walker" got plenty of exercise.  How many mornings I remember praying with each step that the Lord would equip me to do what I knew He had called me to do.  As always, He was faithful--although I probably learned more in those two years than my students did!

In the fall of 1983 He led me to a public school in south Mississippi.  How thrilled I was that we had a real copy machine!  (Never mind that this was my personal nemesis on more than one morning...) I was given teacher editions of my 10th grade textbooks--a most coveted gift--and I discovered a few file folders of former teachers' notes and tests. Since blackboards were still a useful resource, I went home many days sprinkled with chalkdust.  I continued to pray that God would grant me wisdom to fulfill my daily tasks as He steadily grew me during those wonderful years at Oak Grove.  He graciously gave me an extended family in that faculty who cheered alongside as I married, became a mom, and then made the difficult decision to resign and start a new journey as full-time mom.

Although I was incredibly grateful to be able to stay at home with the boys those years while they were young, I sometimes wondered if I would be able to "catch up" when I one day returned to the secondary classroom.  Fortunately, computers were just emerging as teaching companions when I re-entered the profession full time at Hoover about ten years ago.  Wow--since that time technology seems to have moved at Mach I speed!  Document cameras, projectors, smart boards, airliners, portable laptop carts... Whew!  And now the iPads... One of the many blessings in all of this is the inability to grow complacent.  Regardless of how seasoned some of us veterans are, we must still rely on the Lord to provide us with an open mind and a teachable spirit to embrace these changes in education.  

And as only He could plan, my students received their iPads the day we returned from the holidays, compelling my attention to designing ways to incorporate these "cool tools" into my everyday instruction.  But here is the beautiful thing about His timing: On January 1, I specifically called on the Lord as my Shield--asking Him to guard my mind from the agony of last January, to shield me from paralyzing memories that "disturb the peace."  Others might suggest that this is mere coincidence, but no--our God is faithful to answer--sometimes in intriguing ways.  By sending such a consuming diversion, He has protected me from wayward thoughts and further heartache for this time.

Yes, this old dog--this technologically challenged dog--is learning new tricks and really enjoying it!  Already I have observed distinct benefits.  Using a journal app for their daily writing prompt, my students are writing significantly more every day--which will ultimately translate into better. This is especially notable for some generally reluctant writers.  Having a personal white board already in their hands for daily vocabulary review has fostered engagement for every student. (No time lost in handing out boards/markers/erasers, replacing dried up markers...) We have just begun reading a class novel, and I love seeing them annotate with their index finger!  Certainly there are challenges to face alongside these advantages--away, you angry birds, you tweeters--but the call still stands to lean on the Lord.  He graciously continues to supply all my needs...  

Jehovah Jireh--The Lord Who Provides--on all days, in all ways, He offers His provision.  How thankful I am for all the ways He has provided throughout my years as a teacher.  How reassuring to trace His hand down this path and see His loving guidance, His compassion, His precious children. How gracious for Him to guide and guard me through this season. Even a beautiful snowfall last week served as a sweet gift, a reminder of the majesty of our Creator.  Yes, Jehovah Jireh, my Provider, You are more than enough for me.    
        

"Be at rest once more, O my soul,
 for the LORD has been good to you."
                              Psalm 116:7


      

No comments:

Post a Comment